Saturday, April 6, 2013

Stuffed Bell Peppers Cajun Style

Cajun Stuffed Bell Peppers

Stuffed Bell Peppers
Cajun Stuffed Bell Peppers
 
 
I love cooking with Bell Peppers especially Red Bell Peppers.  On this beautiful Saturday I am flipping through my sauces cook book and watching the Food Network thinking of my next inspiration.
 

I've had stuffed bell peppers on my mind for a while now and I mentioned it to my wife when she asked me what I was going to cook today (she is so spoiled).  She thought it was a good idea but I didn't want to just throw some dirty rice in there.  The Food Network had New Orleans favorite foods on and my wife suggested Boudain which is a Louisiana specialty of a dirty rice mixture inside of a sausage casing.  Well then wheels started turning! 
 

 
I thought about Shrimp Creole Stuffed Bell Peppers, Gumbo Stuffed Bell Peppers but I ended up circling back around to the Boudain.  This is a flavorful recipe that I kind of came up with as I went.  Give it a try and let me know what you think.
 
 
 
Here is what you need:
 
 
4 Bell Peppers - Your choice
1 Lb Ground Meat 90/10 is what I used
Half Pound Boudain. If you can't get this you can use or make rice dressing or dirty rice.
1 - 4 oz can of tomato sauce
1 Tsp Garlic Paste
Cajun Seasoning Such as Tony Chachere
Salt and Pepper to taste
 
 
 
Here is what you do:


 
In a skillet, on medium heat, brown the ground meat.  Then add the boudain or dirty rice and mix in well.  Add the tomato sauce and stir well.  Add the Cajun Seasoning and stir.  Add the garlic paste and stir.  Add the salt and pepper and let cook for about 3 minutes.  Give it a taste test and adjust seasoning accordingly.  Turn off the heat and set the skillet aside.
 
 
 
Prepare the Bell Peppers:
Pre-heat the oven to 350.
 
Cut the tops off the bell peppers and clean out the insides and remove the seeds.  Rub some olive oil on each of the bell peppers.  Dust the outside of each of the bell peppers with light salt, pepper and garlic powder.
 
 
Set them in a oven safe dish or pan with walls.  This will help keep the peppers from falling over.
 
Using a medium size spoon, scoop the filling into each bell pepper until completely full.
 
 
 
Top with grated cheese of your choice (I used mild Cheddar).  Gracefully put them in the oven and cook for 14 minutes. 
 
 
Enjoy!
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment