Sunday, February 24, 2013

Macaroni and Cheese Tempura

 

Macaroni and Cheese Tempura

Macaroni & Cheese Tempura - ScottyBCooks.Blogspot.com
 

A Perfectly Different Party Snack Idea

 
Ok this has been on my mind for a while.  I'm not sure if this has been tried elsewhere or not, I really didn't look for recipes for it on the internet.  Seems a little out there to me but it was tasty! 
 
I tend to binge on things and I had this idea for Macaroni week a few months back but I found myself not wanting to eat (or cook) macaroni something every night for a week.  I did end up doing a few things such as my Alfredo Macaroni & Cheese Casserole Starring Classico Garlic and Herb Alfredo Sauce (this was special - try it!).  But I had this one macaroni thing bouncing around in my head.  Macaroni and Cheese Tempura.  But I wasn't sure how I was going to do it. I was concerned about the Mac N Cheese staying together. 
 
Well It turned out that this was a valid concern.  But I thought that if I baked it, then let it sit in the refrigerator overnight, it would be congealed enough to stick together long enough for me to get it in the batter then into the oil.  Well it worked!  It's still not for the impatient folks out there.  You have to stick with it and persevere.  I think one of the key things that I did was to sprinkle grated parmesan cheese over the top before I put it into the oven.  This helped it to stay together.
 
Well, it turned out well.  I'm disappointed in the pictures or basically the presentation but hopefully this will get the juices flowing.  We had them at a little party at the house.  We had the Classico Alfredo Sauce in a warmer and the guests were able to scoop some in a small bowl for dipping their Macaroni and Cheese Tempura in.  Or they can drizzle some over the top or simply eat them without it.  They were a hit!  Ok so here ya go.  By the way,  for the baked Macaroni, I used the macaroni from the recipe on my post for the Alfredo Macaroni & Cheese Casserole.  I made a small dish of it without the sausage.  Otherwise, I put a simple Mac N Cheese Recipe below. 
 

 
 
 

Mac N Cheese (I used this recipe)
But you can use this below if you prefer.  You need to do this at least 4 hours before making the tempura.  It needs to chill at least this long of overnight.  Sorry.
 
1 Cup Cooked Macaroni Noodles - Drained and returned to pot on low fire.
Add:
1/2 Cup milk
About 3/4 Cup Velveeta Cheese (until you are satisfied with the cheesiness)
1 Tbl Spn Butter
dash Salt
 
Let all of this melt on low heat with the lid on the pot.  Stirring occasionally.
Once everything is melted put it in a casserole dish and top with grated parmesan cheese.  Bake in oven for 15 minutes.  Chill over night preferably.
 
Fast Forward to the next day:
 
Tempura Batter - This needs to rest for 30 minutes after you put it together.
 3/4 Cup All Purpose Flour
1/4 Cup Cornstarch
1 Tbl Spn Baking Powder
1 Egg White Beaten
1 Cup Water
2 Tbl Spn Olive Oil 
Pinch Salt
 
Mix the dry ingredients well and then add the rest and mix well.  Set aside for 30 minutes.
 
In a small bowl,  add about 1 cup of grated parmesan.
 
Lets Stay Together (in the words of Al Green)
 
 
 
In a skillet, fill the bottom with vegetable oil.  Turn heat to medium.
 
Ok, here goes!  Spoon out a medium size scoop of Mac N Cheese, about the size of a golf ball, maybe a little bigger.  Form it in a ball in your hands and pack it together well.  You'll find you have to squeeze it a little to get it to stay formed.  Only do a few at a time.  Once it gets into the oil, it'll stay together. 
 
Gently roll it in the bowl of grated cheese.
 
Then roll it in the tempura batter.  Get as much coverage as you can.
 
Gently and safely place into the pre-heated oil in the skillet.  After it cooks for about a minute or so, slowly roll it to another side so the it can continue to cook.  Do this until all sides are cooked to a golden tempura brown.  Then move on to the next one. 
 
Once you get the hang of it, perhaps you can do three or more at a time.
 
Once they are all done, simply heat your Alfredo Sauce and serv. 
 
I hope that you try these.  Let me know how they turn out.  If you try a different variation of it, let me know. 


2 comments:

  1. This is an excellent idea, Scott! I have long ago learned that looking at the ingredients and manner of cooking is better than a photo {I am one of thee worst photographers around!}. Wonder if adding an egg to the macaroni mixture would hold it together more? Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good call on the egg Linda. That may do it.

    ReplyDelete