Sunday, March 10, 2013

Moroccan Seasoned Burgers with Moroccan BBQ Sauce

 
 

Moroccan Seasoned Burgers with Moroccan BBQ Slather 


Moroccan Seasoned Hamburger with Moroccan Barbeque Sauce
 
 
I love the creation process of cooking.  I put it just beneath the eating process of cooking.  Worldly flavors are a big turn on for me and I try to incorporate flavors from all over the world in my cooking.  When I cook, my menu is typical American but I just about always infuse more worldly flavors with it.

 
These burgers are the perfect example.  It's typical hamburger meat, 80/20 with seasonings that you find in Morocco.  It's kind of Alibaba meets Americana I guess.  I use Cumin, All-Spice, Coriander etc. to create this rich flavor.   
 
You can use your favorite BBQ sauce recipe with this and add some of the seasonings that I have below to create your own Moroccan flavors or you can stick with what I have.  This is a tangy sauce with some kick to it.
 
From my perspective Moroccan spices have a mild sweetness to them so I have to add a little saltiness to off-set it.
 
I like to collect cook books.  I use them mainly for inspiration and to educate myself on different cuisines.  One of my favorites is "Sauces, Rubs and Marinades", by Steven Raichlen.  I think this is a must have in any cookbook collection.  I've learned so much from this book.  It truly takes you around the world and introduces you to a huge variety of flavors and I used a few of the recipes in this book as inspiration to create this Moroccan Barbeque Sauce.  For more information click below and I highly recommend this book as an important part of your collection.
 
 
Ok here we go:
 
 
 
Burgers:
 
1 LB 80/20 Ground meat shaped into patties
 

 
Moroccan Seasoning:
 
1 TSP of each of these below:  Mix well.
Allspice
Nutmeg
Salt
Pepper
Turmeric
Ginger
Coriander
Chili Powder
Paprika
Cilantro
 
Sprinkle and press into burgers and set aside.
 
Moroccan Barbeque Sauce
 
2 Cups Ketchup
1/4 Cup Soy Sauce
1/4 Cup Apple Cider Vinegar
1/4 Cup Brown Sugar
1/4 Cup Molasses
1/4 Cup Chili Powder
3 Tbl Spn Cilantro
1 Tbl Spn Minced Garlic (or about 3 cloves)
3 Tbl Spn Worcestershire Sauce
3 Tbl Spn Liquid Smoke
3 Tbl Spn Honey
1 Tbl Spn Lime Juice
1 Tbl Spn Paprika
1 Tsp Cumin
2 Tsp Salt
2 Tsp Red Pepper Flakes (or ore if you like it hot)
2 Tsp Turmeric
2 Tsp Allspice
This looks like there is a lot to this but it's really not.  Put everything in a medium pot and bring to a slow simmer stirring occasionally.  Let it simmer for about 10 minutes then turn the heat down to low.
 
 
 
Meanwhile, prepare your grill.  I prefer the direct heat and indirect heat method.  In other words, pile you coals on one side and leave the other side without.  This creates an oven.  If you're using a gas grill, heat one side and prepare the other side as well to put the burgers on to slow cook.  This way you don't have to worry about scorching the burgers. 
 
Put your Moroccan seasoned burgers on the direct heat and cook for about 2 minutes on each side.  Keep careful watch to keep them from turning into flame balls!  Then place the burgers on the side without the heat and close the lid.  They need to cook for about 25 minutes or so for medium well.
 
Baste with the Moroccan Barbeque Sauce as they cook.  Remove from heat when the burgers are at the desired doneness.  Gather up your magic carpet and genie in the bottle and enjoy!
 

 
 
Let me know what you think!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


2 comments:

  1. All my favorites! Love it Scott :-) And I like that you use coals to BBQ, I am a definite no-no to gas {South-Africans still prefer coal over gas, but gas is being used now and then}

    ReplyDelete