Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Cajun Tilapia with Dirty Rice

Cajun Tilapia with Dirty Rice




Tilapia - Cajun Style
Cajun Tilapia with Cajun Dirty Rice

I love Cajun food and I love Tilapia so this just felt so right.  I eat a LOT of Tilapia and chicken to maintain my manly figure and I tend to go from Lemon Pepper to Cajun a few times a week then mix in chicken all around it.  So that's pretty much what I eat during the week and then I let it loose on the weekend.  I think Tilapia is a great way to lose a little weight.  When I need to drop a few pounds I can eat it for 3 or 4 days (yes I get tired of it by then) and I can drop 2 to 3 pounds easily. 


Tilapia is a very light and mild flavored fish.  Catfish has a richer, stronger flavor as does other fish.  So, Tilapia is my go to fish.  It handles seasoning so much better in my opinion than most other fish and it does not have a fishy smell.  I buy it fresh at our local HEB grocery store.  I prefer that over the frozen in the bag variety.
Well, I cheated quite a bit on this one.  When I get home from my real job, Adam my 11 year old is usually waiting in the driveway with his baseball glove in one hand and mine in the other hand.  How can I turn that down!  Well, I don't!  So I play some catch with him, water my Blueberry's,(I'm planning a Blueberry Farm business) then I come in and start preparing for dinner.  All that being said, I don't always have a lot of time to get something together with all of the homework, baseball etc. that needs to be handled before bedtime.
I had some Tilapia in the refrigerator thawing so I was good to go there.  I had a bag of Louisiana Dirty Rice mix in the pantry and some left over Moroccan Seasoned Burgers still in the fridge.
Add some Cajun Seasoning from Louisiana Cajun Seasonings blend and you have a great fish dinner packed full of flavor!  Not exactly a weight watcher meal, but if you take it easy on the rice, its pretty healthy.  Give it a whirl!
This is a quick and easy meal.  Prep time is about 10 minutes.  Cook time is about 30 total minutes.




The Fish:
Preheat oven to 400
1 or two filets of Tilapia
Rub the Tilapia fish with about 1/2 Tbl Spn olive oil.
Sprinkle a generous amount of Louisiana's Cajun Seasoning over the entire fish.
Put a small dollop of butter in the middle of the fish.
Spray a pan with non-stick spray.
Cook for about 14 minutes.
Dirty Rice:
1 pound ground meat, sausage or left over Moroccan Hamburger from my other post (LOL) browned or cooked.
One bag of Louisiana Dirty Rice Mix.  Cooked according the directions.
1/4 Red Bell Pepper
This takes about 25 minutes.
Then your done.  Garnish how you like then enjoy a rich flavorful dinner!






2 comments:

  1. Your tilapia sounds delicious to me! And my hubby would love the dirty rice :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Liz! Thank you so much. I truly eat this about 2 to 3 times a week. Thanks for dropping in!

    ReplyDelete