Sunday, January 20, 2013

Spicy Burgers on Texas Toast with Honey Bourbon BBQ Sauce

Scotty B's Grilled Burgers on Texas Toast with Honey Bourbon BBQ Sauce


This is perfect for tailgating or if your having friends over for an afternoon grill fest.  I use my Scotty B's All Purpose Seasoning for the hamburger meat and I make my own version of a backwoods moonshine still Bar B Q Sauce.

I prefer to cook using charcoal but you can use a gas grill or even the oven.  It seems like sandwiches on Texas Toast is kind of a big thing lately so I thought I would follow the herd and try it with my own twist.  I substitute hamburger buns with Texas Toast from our local grocery stores freezer.  Plus I already had it in my freezer so I decided to use that.  But of coarse you can use what ever you prefer when you are making your own Texas Toast Burgers.

The moonshine BBQ Sauce is a sauce that I used when we had a concession business a few years ago.  I really enjoy the homemade sweet and smoky flavor of this bourbon based BBQ sauce. I prefer to let mine cook over the coals and come to a boil while stirring constantly.  This is a universal BBQ sauce and you can use it on any meat.  It's sooo good!

My Scotty B's All Purpose Seasoning is also a product of our days with the concession business.  I used it to rub on our steaks, Cabrito and Ribs.  It was very popular and gives the meat a great spice to liven it up.

Give this a try and let me know what you think.  I hope that you enjoy it!

Scotty B's All Purpose Seasoning
1/4 Cup Chili Powder
2 Tbl Spn Paprika
2 Tbl Spn Garlic Powder
1 Tsp Black Pepper
2 Tsp Salt
1 Tsp Oregano
1 Tsp Cayenne Pepper
1 Tsp Thyme 
Mix all ingredients together
Secret Sauce for the burgers
I like to marinate the meat in various sauces for a while before I make them into patties.  Give this a try. Its a base of the BBQ sauce so it goes well together. If you have the time, let it sit for a few hours.
1 Tbl Spn Olive Oil
3 Tbl Spoons Worcestershire Sauce
1 Tbl Spn Liquid Smoke
1/2 Tbl Spn Honey
1 Tsp Garlic Powder
1/2 Tsp Red Pepper Flake 
Dash Salt
Dash Black Pepper
1 Tsp Oregano
Stir together well
Burgers
1 Pound 80/20 Ground Meat (80/20 is better flavor for burgers IMHO)
1 Pound Ground Pork Sausage
Mix the meat together and add incorporate the seasoning and mix well. 
Slowly incorporate the secret sauce into the meat and mix it in very well.
Let this sit for a few hours if you can, if not don't sweat it.  life is too short.





Moonshine Still BBQ Sauce

1/4 Cup of Apple Cider Vinegar
1/4 Cup Ketchup
3 Tbl Spn Liquid Smoke
3 Tbl Spn Worcestershire Sauce
1 Tbl Spn Soy Sauce
3 Tbl Spn Wild Turkey Whiskey
2 Tbl Spn Honey
2 Tbl Spn Brown Sugar
1 Tsp Garlic Powder
1 Tsp Cayenne Pepper
1 Tsp Oregano
Dash Salt and Pepper
Mix all ingredients well.  Bring to boil on the grill (see below) and let it simmer for about 5 minutes.  It will thicken as it cooks.

Lets Cook!




Prepare your grill.  I always prepare a direct heat side and a non direct heat side.
Get it nice and hot - Medium High heat.

Make your patties by gently forming the typical round burger shape.  Try not to squeeze and smash too much.  And NEVER smash while you are cooking your burger.  It pushes the juices out!

Place the burgers on the direct heat side for about 2 minutes on each side.  I like to do this because it makes the burger meat more stable and doesn't fall apart.  Then place it on the indirect side and close the lid.  This creates an oven and continues to cook the burgers slowly and gives it a good smoke and charcoal flavor assuming your using a charcoal grill.  Do this on a gas grill as well though.  The flare ups will scorch the burgers, so keep an eye on them especially on the gas grills.

Pour the BBQ mixture in a grill safe bowl, and place it on the direct heat side of the grill.  Stir often but keep the grill closed between stirrings.  Once it comes to a boil, let it simmer for about 5 minutes and it will thicken.  Continue to stir.  Then when your ready, baste your burgers thoroughly with the Moonshine Still BBQ sauce. 

Remove the burgers when they are done to your liking.

Toast your Texas Toast on the grill.  Your done!  Place the burger on the Texas Toast and slather it with more BBQ sauce if you like.  It's a party in your mouth - so to speak! 

Enjoy!



2 comments:

  1. I cannot stop staring these burgers, Scott! Besides being grilled, the patties are laying on Texas toasts. I am drooling and drooling just imagining how tasty they are. The honey bourbon bbq sauce was a very nice touch though. Ok, now I am hungry...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! Thank you so much Denise!

    ReplyDelete