Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Honey Blackened Chicken with Cajun Roux Rice

Honey Blackened Chicken with Cajun Roux Rice


Honey Blackened Chicken

I'm channeling my Southeast Texas, Southwest Louisiana, Coon-Ass roots on this one.  When the summer starts to come to a close and Autumn is near, I start getting in the mood for Cajun food.  So with the first week of school, and homework and all it's glory....I'm officially in the mood.

I have many fetishes (food of course) and rice is one of them.  I like it plain and I also like to create other rice recipes to liven things up.  I've been thinking about this recipe all day and I can't wait to put it together and see how it comes out.  If this blog makes it to "publish", well then I must have liked it.

The Honey Blackened Chicken is a little something different that was really inspired by my brother in law Aaron.  I was looking at a Honey jar from his personal collection and it came to me.   Of course the recipe is below and if you are interested in fresh locally farmed honey, let me know and Ill put you in touch with Aaron.

The Honey Blackened Chicken takes a little planning, not much but a little.  I use thin chicken breasts or you can use thighs if you wish.  If you have the time to let it soak in the marinade for at least an hour, it's a difference maker.  See ingredients below.

I use my All Purpose Seasoning on this and it's perfect!  You can order it here or get the recipe on my Rubs and Seasonings page.  

 OK here we go..........
Here's what you need:
Honey Blackened Chicken:

1 pound chicken breast flattened or thin - Cut into strips
1/2 cup cooking Sherry
1/2 cup Olive Oil
2 heaping Tbl Spn Bee Sweet Honey - Or your favorite available Honey
1 Tbl Spn Cayenne Pepper
2 Tbl Spoon Chili Poweder
1 Tsp Salt

1 Cup or so of Cajun Seasoning
Or you can use my All Purpose Seasoning on the Rubs and Seasoning Menu or purchase it here!




Put everything in a bowl except the chicken and Cajun Seasoning and stir well.  Place the chicken in the marinade and dunk all of the pieces and let sit for at least an hour.

Put the Cajun seasoning in a plate and prepare a frying pan on a medium high stove.  Add about a table spoon of Vegetable Oil in the pan and coat the entire pan.  Coat each piece of chicken with the Cajun seasoning like you would a frying batter and cook until chicken is cooked all the way through.  Set aside and prepare your rice.

Cajun Roux Rice:
Ingredients:

1 Cup Cooked Rice (Try this: 3/4 cup water, 3/4 cup chicken stock to 1 cup rice)

Celery Stalk chopped
1/4 white onion chopped
1/2 green onion chopped
1 Roma Tomato cut into small pieces
1 Tbl Spn Cajun Seasoning or to Taste
Salt to taste
1 red bell pepper
1 Tbl Spn Butter
1 Tbl Spn Flour
1/2 Cup Chicken Broth
1/2 Cup Water
1 Tbl Spn Cajun Seasoning (Purchase My All Purpose Seasoning here!)




In a medium skillet on medium high heat, saute the white onion, celery and bell pepper and set aside.  In the same skillet melt the butter.  Add the flour and stir simi-continuously.  The flour will thicken.  Continue this for about 15 minutes.  The flour should start turning a medium dark brown.  The longer you cook it the darker and richer it is.  I like it medium brown for this recipe.  Add the chicken stock and stir for 1 minute.  Add the water.  Stir continuously for about 5 minutes.  It will thicken and once again turn a medium brown.  Add the celery, white onion, bell pepper and stir well.  Let this cook for about 5 minutes.  Add the rice to the roux and incorporate well.  Add the tomato, green onion, Cajun Seasoning and salt to taste.  Mix well.  Let this cook for about 3 minutes to let all of the ingredients get to know each other.

Serve and enjoy!  Perhaps consider some swamp music, or maybe some Led Zeppelin to enhance the mood.





No comments:

Post a Comment