Sunday, April 7, 2013

Blue Corn Mexican Cornbread

Blue Corn Mexican Cornbread

Blue Corn Mexican Corn Bread
Blue Corn Mexican Cornbread
 
Something familiar yet a little different!
 
 
It's funny, inspiration strikes at the strangest times and even the strangest places.  Let me 'splain...My lovely wife is all over the Flea Market Flip stuff all of a sudden.  As if I need more unfinished projects in my life, right.

So on this beautiful afternoon in Southeast Texas we head over to Old Time Trade Day's in Winnie Texas which is about 25 minutes from S&M Ranch where we live.  Michele is looking for that perfect find for the perfect price that she can haggle them down even further on.  This is when I pretend I'm not with her...LOL!
 
 
Trade Day's is really a very nice flea market with ton's of wonderful finds and one of a kinds.  Its a great place to shop and eat.  So we're working our way through each of the roads pilfering through all sorts of things that is turning Michele on (so to speak) and I hear a machine of sorts across the way.  It's a sputtering sound and I look towards the sound and I see a big red machine that looks like a 10 foot sewing machine and it's just a churning.
 
Well, of course I'm intrigued and start making my way towards it.  Turns out it was a milling machine for grinding or milling corn or wheat etc.  They just had it on for effect, it wasn't really turning out any cornmeal but it did its job, it got my attention.  It turns out that it's the booth of Oak Hill Farms in Milam Texas.  I stopped to see what they had and found this wonderful homemade BBQ rub and decided to buy it and use it for one of my future posts.
 
I told them that I was famous and had a food blog (ok so I'm not famous...whatever!) and that I was going to cook a brisket with his rub and put it on my blog.  That kind of got his attention and he gave me a 1 pound bag of blue cornmeal from their stone grinding process and suggested that I make Mexican Cornbread with it.  So, of course I took it!  Two cooking inspirations in the span of 5 minutes, what a deal! 
 
Oak Hill Farm is run by Daryl & Ellen Melton and Robert & Tellina Wright.  If your interested in their Blue Cornmeal or some of their other great products,  email them at demelton2@gmail.com.  I'm sure they would love to hear from you.
 
So, we find some nifty little items that inspired Michele such as a hutch that she will make a bar out of.  But I think the real find was the Blue Cornmeal from Oak Hill Farm and the result is below. 

 

 


 
The Blue Cornbread Mixture:
 
1 Cup Blue Cornmeal from Oak Hill Farms
1 Cup Milk
1 Tsp Salt
1 Tsp Baking Sada
1 Tbls Sugar
1 Tsp Cayenne Pepper
1 Egg
1/2 Yellow Onion
1 Jalapeno
1 Can Black Beans
Dash Salt and Pepper to taste
1.5 Cup Grated Cheddar Cheese or Mexican Cheese Blend
 
Mix the dry ingredients together. In a separate bowl mix the milk, egg, onion, jalapeno and cheese and stir well.  Add this to the dry mixture and mix well. Set aside and prepare the meat.
 Preheat oven to 350.
 
The Meat:
 
1 Lb Jimmy Dean Breakfast Sausage
2 Tbls Chili Powder
1 Tsp Garlic Paste or Minced Garlic
1 Tsp Paprika
1 Tsp Cumin
 
 Crumble the sausage into a skillet and start browning.  Add all of the meat ingredients and stir and continue to cook until the meat is fully cooked.
 
The Marriage:
 
 
Add the sausage to the Blue Cornbread Mixture.  Stir and mix well.  Pour into your favorite cornbread skillet or pan.  I use a cast iron skillet for mine.
 
Cook on 350 for about 30 minutes or until a knife pushed into the middle comes out clean.
 
Enjoy!

Michele plans to make a bar from this little find:  50 BUCKS!  Not bad and it has good bones?  I don't know what that means but it has them.

 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment